Originally named New Framingham, the Berkshire town of Lanesborough, MA was set up as a Wilderness Township in 1742. Settlement of the town was slow due to the French and Indian War. In 1756 a fort was constructed to protect the few settlers that did live there through the war. It wasn’t until the peace treaty was signed in 1759 that ten new settlers arrived and an established town government was formed. Lanesborough, MA was incorporated into a town in 1765. The town grew along the main street and by 1822 had quite a few small industries and shops. Lanesborough today is home to the Berkshire Mall and many other small shops and businesses. There are other great outdoor attractions in the town as well. Part of Pontoosuc Lake is in Lanesborough along its southern border and is great for boating, swimming and fishing. One of the main roads up Mt. Greylock State Reservation is also in town. Mt. Greylock is a wonderful state park that has many hiking trails and beautiful vistas.
Lanesborough, MA information:
Originally named New Framingham
Renamed after the Countess of Lanesborough
Lanesborough, MA town website
Town Hall: 83 N. Main St., Lanesborough, MA 01237
Phone: (413) 442-1167
Use our directory to find places to shop, eat, stay and play at in the Berkshires.
Get driving directions to Lanesborough, MA –