Originally named West Hoosac, the town of Williamstown, MA was first settled in 1749 and officially incorporated in 1765. The town was named after Ephraim Williams, who was killed in the French and Indian War. He left a large sum of money to the town on the condition that it would be named after him and a free school would be started. The school opened in 1791 and was named Williams College in 1793. Today, it is one of the most beautiful and prestigious ivy league colleges in the country. There is a multitude of things to do in Williamstown from visiting the Clark Art Institute to enjoying some of the many parks. Williamstown, MA is a thriving rural community of just over 8,000 ranked in The 100 Best Small Towns in America.
Williamstown, MA information:
Originally name West Hoosac
Renamed Williamstown after Ephraim Williams
Williamstown, MA town website
Town Hall: 31 North St., Williamstown, MA 01267
Phone: (413) 458-3500
Use our directory to find places to shop, eat, stay and play at in the Berkshires.
Get driving directions to Williamstown, MA –